The Design Process - Working with a Designer
An industry-wide standard design process has developed that helps organize the flow of a project and assists designers and clients with expectations and deliverables. The process builds upon the information and design decisions from the previous phase.
When you work with Pacific Landscape Architecture you can expect that we will start at the beginning of the process and provide you with the level of service that suits you and your project. Some clients will request services through the schematic design, and others will request full construction documents and a detailing. Qualified contractors sometimes take over from the schematic design and interpret the rest of the process themselves. We listen to you and provide just what you need.
- Initial Meeting and Project Scoping Getting to know each other and deciding what is needed
- Site Analysis and Base Plan Listening to the site and recording what exists
- Concept Design Loosely mapping how the site and the garden uses want to come together
- Schematic Design The roadmap that defines the locations, relationships and character of the spaces
- Design Development Defining materials and overall strategies for grading and assembly
- Construction Documents Technical documents that detail each feature for construction
- Cost Estimating and Bidding Tabulating the cost of the project and getting a builder involved
- Construction Administration Observing the installation work for conformance to the construction documents